Thursday, February 16, 2012

"I Slept with Margaret Thatcher!"

Now it can be told...after years of suppression and torment! I had taken my mother to the U.K. in 1982, just as the Falklands War was raging. Margaret was before the House of Commons every day, choreographing the latest news to fashion the best political adavantage. She was in full sail, just like Meryl Streep in the fascinating film making the rounds of late. I had arranged our London schedule so I could practice each morning, a concert looming on the horizon the last part of our stay. I pondered..."what will I do about mother all this time". Little should I have worried. She was galvanized in front of the TV with the daily Orations of Margaret. If this wasn't enough, there was also a big snooker tournament going on at the same time, so somehow my mother managed to get hooked on this as well. I think the fact that the Queen Mum was also a great fan, and actually was very good at snooker, convinced my mother that this was indeed the way to go. At least, by lunchtime, Mom was ready to go out, so it meant a lot less strain on me to have her so enjoy her long mornings in her robe with the telly going.

Now, just as you are wondering about Margaret and me, I should relate that some years later I had a dream where I was somehow at 10 Downing Street. A great party seemed to go on and on. Margaret was ever so nice, and showed me over the place. It seemed to grown darker and darker until I realized I would never get home ....wherever that was in this dream. Margaret said, "John dear, you had best put up here for the night. There is a nice long window seat on the landing between the first and second floor. It has a lovely cushion, and I will bring you a blanket"

There was just something so "take charge" about Margaret. I bedded down for the night, and before I knew it, it was dawn. Someone brought me a cup of tea and a biscuit, and I departed just as soon as I could.

I never saw Margaret again! We just passed like ships in the night. When I saw "The Iron Lady" I felt I had seen it all before. I guess I had!

No comments: